And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Saturday, September 19, 2026
Never a dull day in little old Redding. Not that far from me.
80lbs isn't £80 as in pounds money but is 80 pounds as in weight and is about 36 kilograms in real terms. Picking they didn't take a photo of the actual bear involved and used a stock picture instead, we cannot know how big or heavy the bear was, in fact the bear could have been 25kgs, 10 kgs lighter than the dog, and the dog was a wuss, and it made news only because they didn't mention how small the bear actually was.
I mean like, if you had a rat walking across your garden nobody wants to read about it, but if you say the rat was bigger than a 20kg cat then you get clicks, readership, and a quickly passing infamy ... you were the person with the big rat.
Of course, if that IS a photo of the bear involved then I take back my words and offer kudos to the person who took the photograph.
But I think the bear pictured is the one that lives with that Russian couple, and is as tame as any £80 dog.
Later in the comments it is revealed that that is a stock photo, not the actual bear. However, an acquaintance of mine has some property in the pines near Red Bluff, and he believes there are more bear on his place than deer. He does have some pictures of those bears, and they are big boys for being black bears.
"William the Rocket Scientist" wrote a whole bunch and didn't really say much of importance. We have black bear roaming our neighborhood here in PA also and they are "big boys" also. And honestly, who among us would like to tangle with an 80 lb bear if caught unaware and not armed.
I Live in the mountains not far from Redding. Big bear problem for sure. At 3am I slept with my back door open for cool aIr and was awaken by a huge bear just a few feet from me. It prob was interested in my compost pile as it only gave me a few glances, ignored my 50 lb. dog, then walked right through the fence like it was not there. Since the Dixie fire the bears are interested in our garbage cans and anything else they can. A neighbor killed a bear breaking in his kitchen window while he washed the dishes, in the day light. Just saw huge bear tracks just past my backyard this week again. Thank goodness the bears are a bit more docile than a few hundred miles north. We are always on bear watch these days it seems? I haven't seen any smaller ones either.. The story seems plausible from my many experiences in the area.
my 35 pound dog Mugsy woulda kicked that bears ass. pound for pound that little shit was one tough dog. part beagle , part terrier and part mean as hell ! (when he needed to be)
Well, I am a country guy, so I have to ask, . . . if I were living in that area, would it be okay if I shot this bear (if the above happened to me)? Or would people freak out? Would the police be called? And, last but not least, can I keep the dead bear, or would the authorities (having certainly be on the scene by then, want to take the bear away? I mean, bear meat is kind of greasy, but if properly handled, can make for some pretty good summer sausage, etc. [Try to answer all my questions :) !].
80lbs isn't £80 as in pounds money but is 80 pounds as in weight and is about 36 kilograms in real terms.
ReplyDeletePicking they didn't take a photo of the actual bear involved and used a stock picture instead, we cannot know how big or heavy the bear was, in fact the bear could have been 25kgs, 10 kgs lighter than the dog, and the dog was a wuss, and it made news only because they didn't mention how small the bear actually was.
I mean like, if you had a rat walking across your garden nobody wants to read about it, but if you say the rat was bigger than a 20kg cat then you get clicks, readership, and a quickly passing infamy ... you were the person with the big rat.
Of course, if that IS a photo of the bear involved then I take back my words and offer kudos to the person who took the photograph.
But I think the bear pictured is the one that lives with that Russian couple, and is as tame as any £80 dog.
Later in the comments it is revealed that that is a stock photo, not the actual bear. However, an acquaintance of mine has some property in the pines near Red Bluff, and he believes there are more bear on his place than deer. He does have some pictures of those bears, and they are big boys for being black bears.
DeleteThe fella that wants to weigh that bear.....I'll buy you beer all night long.....
Delete"William the Rocket Scientist" wrote a whole bunch and didn't really say much of importance. We have black bear roaming our neighborhood here in PA also and they are "big boys" also. And honestly, who among us would like to tangle with an 80 lb bear if caught unaware and not armed.
ReplyDeleteI Live in the mountains not far from Redding. Big bear problem for sure. At 3am I slept with my back door open for cool aIr and was awaken by a huge bear just a few feet from me. It prob was interested in my compost pile as it only gave me a few glances, ignored my 50 lb. dog, then walked right through the fence like it was not there. Since the Dixie fire the bears are interested in our garbage cans and anything else they can. A neighbor killed a bear breaking in his kitchen window while he washed the dishes, in the day light. Just saw huge bear tracks just past my backyard this week again. Thank goodness the bears are a bit more docile than a few hundred miles north. We are always on bear watch these days it seems? I haven't seen any smaller ones either.. The story seems plausible from my many experiences in the area.
ReplyDeletemy 35 pound dog Mugsy woulda kicked that bears ass. pound for pound that little shit was one tough dog. part beagle , part terrier and part mean as hell ! (when he needed to be)
ReplyDeleteWell, I am a country guy, so I have to ask, . . . if I were living in that area, would it be okay if I shot this bear (if the above happened to me)? Or would people freak out? Would the police be called? And, last but not least, can I keep the dead bear, or would the authorities (having certainly be on the scene by then, want to take the bear away? I mean, bear meat is kind of greasy, but if properly handled, can make for some pretty good summer sausage, etc. [Try to answer all my questions :) !].
ReplyDeleteGood. Rooting for the bear to cull ‘em!
ReplyDelete