Saturday, March 31, 2018

The Wingmaster and I went for a haircut and straight razor shave while in Portland yesterday


Lots of very well groomed people going in and out.  I felt a bit out of place, and shaggy. 

They got me in a little early, and the guy dealing with me was surprised when I told him I've cut my own hair for 20 years.  However, he said that I do a passable job for an amateur.

They use a shavette, which is a straight with a replaceable blade, eliminating the need to sharpen.

Lots of creams, ointments and lather.

Two hot towels, then a cold one after the shave.

It was as much a production as a cut and shave.

Mrs. CW saw me after the haircut and immediately exclaimed, "You look younger!"  I'm sure they slipped her a fiver to say that.  On the other hand, when you start as a shaggy neanderthal with a three day growth of stubble, it's not hard to improve that appearance.

The Wingmaster was assigned a dimpled gal to provide his cut.



While you wait they offer a complimentary adult beverage.  I sampled Rebel Yell, neat.

You need it when they wrap your face like this in a hot, wet towel.


Neither the WM or I got nicked, and the shaves were quite close.  The guy who did me told me he has a collection of 30 straight razors.  That made me feel a bit better about my own little group of cut throats.


I wouldn't do this often, but it really was a fun and relaxing way to spend a morning.

The Wingmaster was rocking the well groomed but tough guy look.




16 comments:

  1. Now that is one fine looking young man, very hansom. Maybe there is hope for our future generations. I apologize for leaving such a mess. By the way, I have a very beautiful 20 yo granddaughter you might like to meet? Thanks for the photos, Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the right way to start a day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Significant. I'd only do this once a year or so. Unless I win the lottery.

      Delete
  4. My Dad, as a young man with the Navy, got a shave from a barber in newly-conquered Japan. It was thrilling, since he wasn't entirely sure they wouldn't cut his throat, but he got a close shave.

    The Japanese barber wasn't used to American men's beards, so Dad got shaved twice. He told me the next day his whole face was sore, he'd lost his outer layer of skin with that close shave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Wingman is looking quite handsome! Can you tell the name of the establishment, I would like to point my son in Vancouver to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geez, when I learn to read all the header I will see the name that you posted in bright red...

      Delete
  6. I don't think that any haircut in the US can come close to those that were (and maybe still are) available in Korea. More than any other single thing, the shave, haircut, etc. experience in Korea kept the US Servicemen wanting to stay in-country. They were an experience like no other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thinking of starting one for lady customers. A straight razor, head-to-toe body make over parlor. Think it'll fly, CW?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A couple of times I went for a straight razor shave at a barbershop in Scottsdale, AZ. I opted for the $75.00 shave that involved several hot towels, a facial treatment, and being shaved with a razor five times. It was the closest shave I ever had. The barber was Russian and he loved to spend all his free time in Vegas. Every guy should do this at least once.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If that is your son, my Coolness Meter pegged.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They missed a spot under his nose there.

    ReplyDelete