Saturday, November 25, 2017

Yes! I want one! The Army Plans On Selling Off Its Remaining Arsenal Of M1911 Pistols


The $700 billion 2018 National Defense Authorization Act that Congress sent to President Donald Trump’s desk on Nov. 16 included an amendment that required the Secretary of the Army to transfer a cache of small arms and ammo “no longer actively issued for military service” to the government-sponsored Civilian Marksmanship Program, including the M1911 and M1911A1 pistols, the M–1 Garand, and .22 rimfire rifles.


Although the 1911A1 variant that emerged in the U.S. after WWI was phased out of regular military service in favor of the Beretta 92 pistol (aka the M9) starting in 1985, its power persists. The Marine Corps ordered 12,000 M45A1 Close Quarter Battle Pistols, a 1911-modeled firearm from Colt Defense in 2014; the pistols went to MARSOC Raiders, with a handful going to special operations-capable Marine Expeditionary Units.

The DoD spends $2 a year to store each of its 100,000 surplus 1911s. With 10,000 already transferred and 8,300 additional pistols “sold or disposed of,” per Guns.com, that means there are at least 80,000 1911s ready and waiting for a nasty civilian to give them a good home.

Saves the government money, while at the same time arming the people with reliable sidearms.  It's all good!






8 comments:

  1. Yes, I'll take two - one for home and one for carry. Real men pack Colts. If I get shot by a 9mm and I find out about it, I'll be pissed....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love one of these, my Dad had one thanks to the Navy from his time in Korea, but it was sadly lost. It was a beauty though, I remember it well: parkerized and with its OD holster with fittings for a web belt.

    A 1911 is really needed, it would go perfectly with my M1 Carbine (which is my favorite shootin' iron!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take two as well. Sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon Watts, DiFi and Gabby Giffords PSH in 3... 2... 1...

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a graduate of the Army Small Arms Repair School (when it was still at Aberdeen Proving Grounds) yeah, I'm in. While on the job in an armored cav arms room, I actually handled a Singer. (1/2 ACR. We called them the half acre.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So how does one go about securing one of these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start here---

      http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/

      Delete
    2. Thanks RHT447, I'll keep that page bookmarked!

      Delete