Thursday, October 19, 2017

One last trip to the aspen country before the snow flies

From just a couple of weeks ago, the aspens have advanced to just past maximum display.  The country seems to be waiting, waiting for the winter to arrive.  It's holding it's breath, seemingly, while  the days are still warm and the light still shining beautifully down from a benevolent sun through the glowing colors of Fall.


Below, the East Fork of the Carson.  Man, that far bank looks fishy, but no time today to try my luck.


The road into Company Meadows.  Once off pavement, we neither saw nor heard anyone.

Is that the Wing Commander standing on the roof of my truck?!


The youth of America enjoying their God given rights, protected by the Second Amendment.

Ruger SR22.  One of the funnest little pistols ever.  Reasonably accurate, and it's never hiccuped on any of the multiple brands of ammo we've fed it.  Thanks, Bill!


G2 with a Bullberry 221 Fireball barrel.  Still need to attend to the scope/sights.

Below, Slinkard Valley on the east side, from our perch at maybe 8500 feet above the Pacific.


Lots of aspen action in this country right now, but in a couple of weeks, even if it doesn't snow, those glowing leaves will be on the ground, adding to the layer of forest mulch, and aspen season will be over for another year.






6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'd like to be up there during the first snowfall, sipping coffee and watching the big flakes come down. Then, just before night sets in, hightail it down to Minden and JT's for a Basque dinner and a few Picon Punches.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful part of the country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos. Brings back memories from the days of my youth. +1 for Ruger. I still have my 4" MK I, although you have to look close to see what's left. It sports an AMT heavy barrel top end and Volquartsen grips. I bought it new in Roseville in '79.

    I am forever faced with a quandary. Some of the stuff I acquired in my younger days now has some collector value. I have to think twice before any mods or upgrades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naw, just save the old parts and you can put it back the way it was. Shoot that stuff.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures. The SR here goes through 400-500 rounds every time we go to the range. Great pistol. I thought I had one of the ones that didn't have the broken take down lever until my slide, recoil spring, and recoil spring guide went scooting downrange. It has probably 3000-4000 rounds through it since the repair. I hope you get the chance to take another trip and provide us with more pictures.

    jack

    ReplyDelete