Saturday, October 14, 2017

Old Iron and Stainless Steel

Well, great temp and sunshine here, so I wandered down to the barn and gathered up five of the block planes down there.   I think in the next couple of weeks I'll take the irons out and hone them up.  A nice collection from cheapo to good quality.  The Lie-Neilsen is the clear winner of the bunch, it weighs about 40% more than the next heaviest and the iron is thickest. 


Also, I managed to find an ancestor's old straight razor.  I gotta believe it belonged to August Svensson, given that it comes from Eskilstuna, Sweden, but it's also possible it was E. B. Alton's as well.
Get a load of that gnarly leather sheath!


SSA must stand for 'stainless steel something.' 


Made by the Mellgren Company, in Eskilstuna, I presume.  I should do a little research and see what I can find out.

The edge on this is still sharp, although not shaving sharp.  I'll take this down to the barn too and see if I can hone it up.


Update! Found this info:

Straight Razor Manufacturers and Dates of Operation
SWEDISH STEEL FORGING CO
Trademark: SSA (Svenska Stalsmides Aktich)
Sole North American distributor: Eric Mellgren of 114-118 West 39th St, New York City
ca. 1918 - 1920

4 comments:

  1. Are you sure the Lee-Neilsen isn't bronze or brass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I meant the cutting iron. I do believe the body is bronze.

      Delete
  2. I have my dad's old box plane. It is painted red and stamped "Sears". Yes, I keep it sharp and use it now and then.

    ReplyDelete