Sunday, February 5, 2017

Don't get old and sick in the Netherlands.

Dutch doctor drugged a patient's coffee then asked her family to hold her down as she fought not to be killed - but did not break the country's euthanasia laws.

The Netherlands introduced the euthanasia law 17 years ago, and since then more than 5,500 people have ended their life, arguing that they are suffering unbearably. One of those who died was a sex abuse victim who suffered severe anorexia, chronic depression and hallucinations, and another was a severe alcoholic.
Every time a doctor performs euthanasia, they have to prepare a report for the coroner who sends the relevant documents to the Regional Review Committee.
In the latest controversial incident the unnamed woman, who was over 80, reportedly suffered from dementia and had earlier expressed a desire for euthanasia when she deemed that 'the time was right'.

Well, apparently even though  the doctor drugged her coffee, she knew they were coming to kill her, and decided the time was not right.  Didn't matter.  The authorities had decided the time was right - they probably wanted her bed for a new patient.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure glad that I wasn't visiting the Netherlands a few years ago and was in severe pain from a kidney stone. They may have taken me seriously when I was praying for death.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd get a hand grenade, pull the pin and sit on it while they murdered me...then when they went to pick me up -- pay back. It would be like Kipling's The Grave of the Hundred Head. I don't know that I could take a hundred with me in that way, but it's the thought that counts.

    ReplyDelete