Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Beast of Turin




This thundering thing is the Beast of Turin. The Fiat S76 land speed record car. It's a behemoth, nearly as tall as a man, with a four-cylinder engine displacing a staggering 28.5 liters. In 1911 that massive engine propelled the Fiat S76 to 135-mph, an extraordinary accomplishment at the time, and one that snatched the land speed record away from the Germans. 


When that thing burst to life, did you want to jump out of your chair, pump your fist and cheer? Holy chit! I did.

But what gas milage does it get?

2 comments:

  1. My neighbors would complain if I ran this behemoth in my driveway on a Sunday morning. Fortunately if they called the cops, my son-in-law would show up and we'd talk cars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Machines of this caliber don't get "mileage."
    They get "yardage."

    ReplyDelete