Sunday, December 14, 2014

Crazy holidays

I have all three whelps back home now for the holidays, and I must say that my lifestyle is much different now with them all around.

Yesterday, in the midst of the Army/Navy game, there was a clamor to go and get the Christmas tree.  It built and built until it was impossible not to satisfy the three yutes.  The wife, however, pretended not to want a tree, and flat out ordered me to refuse to get one, faking tears and sobs.  

This is my life.

The kids and I fired up the truck and drove to the nearest lot.  I picked out a tree I knew would work in probably 30 seconds.  I am a man that knows what I want.  The three kids were scandalized - how could I know so fast?  They wanted to savor the tree hunt, not buy and fly.

When we pulled up to the house, the wife met us, matches in hand, threatening to burn the cursed Christmas tree.  A rugby like scrum ensued, and the wife, being a strong farm wife, and motivated to burn the tree, broke free and actually managed to strike a match and then hold it under the tree, which was still in the back of the truck.  Naturally, there was lots of puffing and slapping at the lit match, and the tree survived.  It's now in the front room adorned with lights, but no ornaments as of yet.

As if that excitement wasn't enough, later that evening the two younger kids wanted to go out and try and photograph the Geminids, which were peaking last night.  This was supposed to be a meteor "shower," but I personally only saw one.  A bit overhyped, I'd say.

Anyway, when we had been standing around in the dark for a while, the two of them decided to go on a night photography expedition, so the three of us jumped into the truck and roared out of the yard.

Eventually, we found a place to get out and take some shots in a nearby vineyard.  Here is the middle kid doing his best Luke Skywalker imitation.  The weird orange light is from the yard lights at a maintenance building just on the other side of the hill.  The camera was set up for long night exposures, and it saw the light from the building as orange.  Looks like some sort of Icelandic volcano is erupting just over the hill.


This morning, three of them are at church right now, including the wife who tried to burn the tree (probably going to confession), I've spent the morning searching the front yard for a lost key to the car my wife likes to drive (successfully, I might add), and the oldest daughter is making something for lunch, giving me time to post something.  

I need the break from crazy!

12 comments:

  1. I never had a problem finding a tree immediately, either... except when we'd snag a USFS permit.
    Then, I was relegated to heating the chili and the not chocolate whilst others trekked the countryside.
    I pretended like I hated it.
    What I really hate is trekking the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a heck of a good time! Amazing how the house comes alive when the kids are home, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super alive. We were just watching a video one of the kids wanted us to watch, where English Kitchen Nazi Gordon Ramsey shows the right way to cook scrambled eggs. Fun, and guess what we will all be doing in the kitchen tomorrow morning?

      Delete
  3. I went to Costco and got one out of the back of the truck. $50. 8' tall, in the stand and it looks fine. But I feel your pain.

    When all of my chilins lived home we always ended up buying the trophy tree at the lot (price is no object to the kids who didn't have to foot the bill). Then the girls would supervise as I hauled the tree that weighed at least 300 lbs and stood 15 feet tall into the living room. Then they'd criticize this branch and that branch that turned out to be less perfect that they anticipated.

    Sweet Revenge: They have their own trees in their own homes now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not familiar with any tradition that has the mother trying to burn the Christmas tree. Care to elaborate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wife pretends to hate all the Christmas hullabaloo. Being of a dramatic nature, she enjoys resisting the decorations, the food, all of it. She threatened to burn any tree I dared to bring home. When I obviously left to get the tree, and then came home with one, she had to attack with fire. She really enjoys it.

      Delete
  5. "I need the break from crazy!

    Nah, Man! You've got family! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got a real tree, a Noble fir, for the ol folks & I. Miss the days of the kids & I and friends hunting trees in the wild. We always said a prayer for the tree before we sawed. It was an adventure, and why was the perfect tree across the ravine from the truck in deep snow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that too. And you're right. The perfect tree is always a 1/2 mile drag from wherever you can park the rig.

      Delete
  7. Cool photo. It looks like one of the yutes is capturing one of the Geminids. Merry Christmas Swansons!

    ReplyDelete