Saturday, November 1, 2014

Went on a walk

In the yard, and saw a couple interesting things.

First, the pomegranates are ripe and ready.  There was a light crop last year, so this year, having rested, the tree is putting out a lot of fruit.


And best of all, the banana tree is putting out a new leaf!  Now, if I can just get it to survive the winter. My BIL, who gave it to me, says not to sweat it, but I'm sweating it.  Don't worry, little banana buddy, I'll be out there on freezing nights with a sheet to keep the frost off, and maybe a string of spare Christmas lights to add some warmth.  I got your back.


4 comments:

  1. Your are lucky - pomegranates are expensive here. Too bad you can't bring Chiquita in for the winter....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My BIL tells me his tree ( he lives in Fresno) easily survived several freezes, but then again his tree is about ten feet tall. I'm further north, and at about the limit of possible banana tree growth. Now that I have one I've been noticing a few around town, but the reality is it is too hot and dry in the summer here, and frequently too cold in the winter. They like warm and humid all year. I'll give it my best shot.

      Delete
    2. Pomegranates grow like weeds here. Amazingly, once established, they don't even need watering. I've seen some growing happily in very arid places, like the corner of the yard of a tomato canning plant in Ingomar, California, on the west side of the San Joaquin valley, where it's a furnace in the summer. Dusty, dry, searing hot, doesn't matter to a pomegranate.

      Delete