Saturday, August 9, 2014

Daughter no. 1 fixes car on the road

The wife and both daughters were driving back from LA today.  Just this side of the Grapevine, the car started a worrisome rattle, coming from underneath the motor.  They made it to Santa Nella, pulled off and took a look.

There is a flat piece of thick plastic under the motor to improve air flow and thus milage.  It had somehow come loose in front, and was catching the air and rattling loudly.  Pieces actually had come off from underneath while coming north on I-5.

The oldest daughter fixed it on the fly.  She went into a Rotten Robbie gas station store, bought some duct tape, popped the hood, and liberally taped the slab of plastic back to the front so it wouldn't catch the air flow and vibrate.

                                                                The "Can Do" Kid.

This actually worked, and they made it back, another two hours, with no further problems, saving me from a rescue mission.

I'm proud of her!

I can just imagine what the mechanics will say when the wife takes it in to be properly fixed, and they see the red neck fix .

10 comments:

  1. Awesome, nothing wrong with a girl red neck fix. She has been raised right, so kudos to her parents as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This event seems to suggest at least something was done right. Thanks much!

      Delete
    2. She has a dad who taught her.

      That's all I have to say on the subject but it's high praise for both of you.

      Delete
  2. Well done! That young lady. My bit of plastic went adrift on the way to Pittsburgh. It was a goner so when I reached UPMC I tied a bit of rope to it, wrapped bitter end around pillar in the parking garage and backed away slowly. Never did replace it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice (and quick) fix... What no roll of duct tape in the trunk??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same thought, my car's go bag has a roll of duct tape.

      Delete
    2. Us really old school types figure everything can be fixed or dealt with using rope and a pocket knife. That said, I'm a little afraid that anybody finding rope, a pocket knife and duct tape in my trunk will leap to some conclusions I'd really rather they didn't. Besides, I have a roll of the clear package tape so I can tape my wing mirrors back on when my sisters knock them off my car. :)

      Delete
  4. You should be proud. Dad has obviously taught her some good skill sets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once in a while I can be pleasantly surprised. This was one of those times.

      Delete
  5. I always carry a skein of paracord for the same reason. Good girl - not one who wilts and waits for a man for rescue.

    ReplyDelete