Sunday, February 17, 2013




One of the kids found a book for me that I am currently reading, called "Below the Convergence," about the exploration of Antarctica.  It's the kind of armchair traveling that I like, and the reading has introduced me to the names of several unfamiliar islands in the southern seas.

One island in particular, Staten Island, invited an internet search, and in the process I found a photo journal by New Zealander Peter Smith, which documented his sailing adventures in these waters. I have chosen a few of these amazing images to share here, but I recommend that you go to his place and look at them all.

First up, Staten Island, which lies about 100 nautical miles east of the toe of South America in the South Atlantic Ocean.  It is above the Antarctic Convergence, which is the place where the very cold antarctic water sinks below the much warmer northern waters. This makes a huge difference in the flora that exists there, allowing forests to grow.  Other islands at the same latitude but below the convergence are barren rocks.

Here is Peter's boat, the Kiwi Roa, anchored at the amazingly beautiful Puerto Hoppner on Staten Island.  Looks like a great spot for a snug cabin.  I wonder what the fishing would be like here abouts?


On to South Georgia, below the convergence, it's a different story.  Glaciers, rocks and penguin rookeries are the rule.


A king penguin rookery at Gold Harbor, South Georgia.

Below, sea ice and mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment