Wednesday, July 4, 2012

It has been awhile since I planted a tree on the property out here where I live, but this year I was seized by the urge to put in a grapefruit.  For years I have had a Meyer lemon dwarf that has performed like a champ even though I absolutely ignore it, so I thought I'd try my luck with another citrus.

I found nearly the last one at the local nursery, brought it home and planted it here.  It's an Oro Blanco, a cross between a pomelo and a grapefruit, developed originally down at U.C. Riverside in 1958.  I am told that it is sweeter than a regular grapefruit, so now that it is in the ground I'm anxious to get a harvest, even though it might take a good solid year before I get a true crop.  Such is the nature of fruit trees, one must plan in years before any return at all.  Might as well get started.

Below is what the fruit and meat should look like once it is ripe.


Since I was out and about and walking around, I noticed that the apricots are looking good, and about ready to harvest.  Better act fast because I can see some bird damage already on some of them.


It will be another month before the figs are ripe on the monstrous tree that grows near the house, but they are looking good so far.


The blackberries never get enough water to do really well, but they always put on a crop, and a few were even ripe today.  Many more were still red, but the flavor on those that were ready was really intense.  Maybe tomorrow morning I can get enough ripe ones to put over a bowl of cereal.

All in all, everything looks reasonably good.   There are lots of disadvantages to living out in the country, but the advantages of having plenty of room for goodies like this make up for them, I believe.


No comments:

Post a Comment